Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To Be a Woman of God - Part 1

What does it mean to be a “Woman of God”? Often I have heard of people preaching sermons on being a “Man of God” as if it’s something more important, but only rarely have I heard anything said about women. I want to start my own journey to find out what it really means to be the young woman that God wants me to be (as well as the wife I should be someday should I get married), so why not come along and discover (or be reminded) with me? I won't be sharing anything too hard to comprehend, just a few of my own personal thoughts/how I understand...I like to keep things simple. If you want to study out more for yourself, go ahead, that door is open! =)
 
I am starting in Proverbs 31:10 because this is where the real practical stuff begins. 

“Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.”
~*x~*x~ {Proverbs 31:10} ~x*~x*~
 
What is this telling us? Essentially, it is telling us that virtuous women are extremely hard/rare to find. Often it is even easier to find a virtuous man. If we read Ecclesiastes 7:28 we can see such a thing indicated: “Which yet my soul seeketh, but I find not: one man among a thousand have I found; but a woman among all those have I not found.” 

Anyhow, back to the verse of topic, Proverbs 31:10 - let’s look into this statement! It could get pretty basic, but I want to make sure that everyone understands, so let me ask a question—what does “virtuous” even mean? 

vir·tu·ous /ˈvərCHo͞oəs/ Adjective
1. Having or showing high moral standards

To carry virtues, to have standards; Practically speaking, what does this mean to us, today? It means to have integrity, honesty, respect, to be truthful, etc. What does it mean to you? :)

Short, sweet, and to the point. Don’t you want to be one of those rare rubies? Don’t you want to be known as a virtuous woman? (Or a virtuous man! This is not a women-only thing!) Not only to those around you, like your friends and family, but even to those who don’t know you.  I know I do, but since I am also just an erring human, I know that of my own strength I can do nothing…Christ has to work this very thing in me. It is Him who enables me to have those high standards and to be more like Him. Never settle for less than what you are able to be through Him! 

1 comment:

  1. I would add to the list of things it means to be virtuous purity, both of mind and body. I know a number of people that are committed to physical purity, but their mind are corrupted. I use Philippians 4:8 as a guide for my minds filter, it says "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

    ReplyDelete